Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mistakes

"You can't make the same mistake twice. The second time you make it, it's no longer a mistake, its a choice."

One of my good friends had this quote as her status on Facebook this morning and it got me thinking about whether or not it's okay to take a risk and make this 'choice' or if it's better to stand by the lesson you learned from the mistake and try desperately not to make it again. I suppose it's much like that quote 'Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.'

The way I see it, a lot of whether or not it's okay to take a risk is circumstantial; however, I'm also a big believer in not missing out on opportunities due to one negative experience. We've all made mistakes. We've all made mistakes that have caused us a lot more hurt than we would've ever thought it could. Of course you don't go into a situation assuming that your decisions and actions are going to cause you pain. That's not how (most) people approach situations..which is often why mistakes are so hard to live with and move on/learn from. Most mistakes aren't identified as mistakes until they hurt us or the people we care about. However, I made a decision. I made a decision to not let my past mistakes interfere with a potentially incredible future. I made a decision to not allow myself to base all of my future decisions off of one negative past experience. I say that like it was easy - which, of course, it wasn't. But things worth doing aren't normally easy to achieve. That's how you know that they're worth it. Working for something and achieving it is a lot more satisfying than having something handed to you with little effort.


I don't think all mistakes are worth repeating. However, I do believe that based on the right circumstances, once might be choosing to not make a 'choice' based on a negative past experience, when it could be worth making.

-Satisfy my Soul

No comments:

Post a Comment