Saturday, December 17, 2011

To the graduating class of 2012..

I’m fortunate enough to have had the most amazing year of my life (to date) in 2011. I truly am appreciative in knowing that there are so many people who love and support me; I cherish them more than they could possibly know.

With my last week of school officially behind me, we begin our journey into the daunting ‘real world’. 2011 was a year of self-love and self-knowledge for me. But this is not a reflection of this past year – that comes later ;)

I remember being ridiculously intimidated when I first began the PR program at Humber. I was straight out of high school – one of the youngest in my class. I was quite a lot shyer then, than I am now, which made meeting people quite a bit difficult for me. Spencer, you were the first one to talk to me! I suppose I sort of clung to you, Eugene, Sarah, Emily for a while after that. I’m thrilled that I had the opportunity to get to know you all better and party with you on several different occasions. You are some of the sweetest and most genuine people I’ve ever had the opportunity of meeting. You’re kind-hearted and dedicated and I truly value all of the support and friendship you’ve provided me with over the last 2 ½ years.

I’m not a trusting person and the relationships that I do build, I build slowly and with care. It is these genuine friendships that I value so dearly. Allyson, Melissa, and Sean, you have contributed so much to my post-secondary experience. Sean, I’m so thankful that we had the opportunity to work together at Humber Students’ Federation. I know that we wouldn’t be nearly as close as we are now had we not been given that opportunity. You’re one of my biggest support systems and are always willing to listen to what I have to say without judgment. I value your opinion and your advice a lot more than I value my own at times. Thank you for being hilarious, sweet, compassionate, and honest. Your sincerity and your passion will take you so far and I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more. Our friendship is one that I will take with me as I move forward and I hope you do the same.

Allyson! You befriended me first year for our very first group project. You saw me at my worst (on several occasions), encouraged me when I was at my best, and pushed me to succeed. You’re hilarious, stubborn, intelligent, thoughtful, and destined to succeed. You keep me on my toes and I always look forward to hearing your adventures. A lot of the laughs I experienced over the last 2 ½ years, I experienced with you. For example:

Jennifer: What’s the first thing you think of when you think of Remembrance Day? *points at me*
Me: Remembrance.

And…

Melissa: I like your lipstick today.
You: ..I’m not wearing lipstick..

I think this program has allowed you to find your calling.
…as a barista at Starbucks! …I kid. I know you’re going to be so successful at whatever you choose to do and I can’t wait to hear about your adventures as you begin this new chapter in your life. I’m going to miss you, but I know that we’ll stay in touch as we move forward to bigger and better things.

Melissa! First off, I would like to begin by saying that I still have your PUMA bag. Awkward. When I see you before I leave, I shall give that to you :P Moving on! In addition to loving your style and hair, I truly value the friendship and support you’ve given me over the duration of this program. There were some group projects that I don’t think I could’ve survived had you not been there for me to vent to, or provide me with a source of sanity. You’re funny, compassionate, intelligent, and tenacious. You’re going to do so well in this industry. The stories that you always have to share with me bring such joy to my life. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard. You’re one of my closest friends and I don’t know how I would’ve gotten through the program without you. In fact, had it not been for your ‘Alyssa, I need you to start this!’ I probably would’ve put off Annette’s final assignment until the morning of. Haha. I can’t wait to hear about all of your adventures as you enter your internship in the ‘real world’!

I could not be more thankful to have experienced the last couple of years with everyone. Thank you so much for your friendship, your encouragement, and your constant support. I know that you will all be successful in whatever area of public relations you decide to pursue. If you decide you want to be a TTC driver, I’m sure you’ll succeed in that, too. I’ll be even more supportive if you let me abuse the system and use the TTC for my favourite price: free ;)

I look forward to following your careers, creeping you on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter, and I hope you will all stay in touch as you move forward to make your mark on the world.

So, friends, here’s to the years behind us, the years ahead of us, and the friendships and memories I could never forget.

2 comments:

  1. I love you mamalyssa, and melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this bought tears to my eyes. It feels as if it been a long time since classes, but really hasn't.

    I want to wish you the very best this year, but I know you will be great and shine very bright!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete