Monday, January 2, 2012

2011: A reflection

2011 was very much a journey of self-discovery and self-love for me. I was tested by a variety of trials and tribulations that I can now appreciate as things that have only made me a stronger person. I was also tested by a lot of things emotionally. At one point, I found myself faced with a situation that required me to make a rather important decision. This wasn't a decision I took lightly. I sought a variety of opinions from the people who are closest to me - the people whose opinions I trust and value the most. There were a lot of mixed thoughts circulating around; I didn't want to disappoint anyone. Eventually I came to the realization that this wasn't a decision that could be owned by anyone other than me.

For those of you who know me well, you know I'm about as indecisive as a squirrel crossing the road. 2011 was filled with situations that didn't always allow for my naturally indecisive nature. In fact, I was forced to make a lot of split-second, yet solidified decisions. I think that living a spontaneous life is always exciting; however, I also think it is incredibly challenging. I spent a great deal of time with people who helped me appreciate the spontaneity of life and for those people, I am extremely grateful.

I learned a lot about myself over the last year. I learned that I am strong, capable, and ready to leave the cozy box I call 'home' in favor of adventure. I learned that the relationship an individual has with him/herself is the most important and loving relationship, and all other relationships seem to fall together when you aren't depending on the love of another person to feel good about yourself. I learned that everyone is flawed and that's why we are all so unique and beautiful. I learned that it isn't fair to hold someone with poor balance on a pedestal; we seem to be a lot more disappointed when these people fall down. I've learned that the people we want are not necessarily the people we need, but who's to know if you never try? I've learned that 'why?' requires a much more difficult answer than 'why not?' and that hard work most definitely pays off. I think the most important lesson I learned in 2011 is that it’s okay to be scared as long as this fear doesn’t rule one’s life.

I don’t make resolutions, because I’m well aware of my inability to keep them. However, in 2012 I will continue to live in the present, focus on the important things and less on the trivial things, say ‘yes’ as much as possible, and continue to learn more about myself and the world around me.

I hope you all had a wonderful time bringing in the new year and that you use 2012 for new beginnings, new opportunities, and renewed passions. Cheers, friends.

Satisfy my Soul

No comments:

Post a Comment