Thursday, January 12, 2012

Frozen Alabaster

Good afternoon my loves! It's a rather rainy day here in New York.. I'm currently sitting in a Starbucks on the corner of 17th and 1st.. I imagine I'll be here for the next couple of hours. I'm heading back to my beloved Toronto today.. I fear I'll have to break the news that I've fallen in love with another city. I hope he doesn't take it too hard..

Tuesday I arrived at La Guardia Airport at 8am. I spent the first couple of hours exploring the neighbourhood around my hotel at 17th and 3rd. This Starbucks is actually where I began this adventure. Yay for adventures! After wandering for a couple of hours, I made my way back to the hotel to await the arrival of Elmer, who was to be meeting me at 11am. The check-in time at the hotel wasn't until 3pm, but because the receptionist saw that I was lingering awkwardly in the corridor, he had my room prepared early. I dragged all of my luggage to the 7th floor (thank goodness for elevators..). My room was very small. Elmer compared it to a hotel room in Paris. Truly it was all I needed - a space of my own.

The view from my window was lovely. There was a quaint park to the left, and a beautiful clock tower and church to the right. I'm truly a nerd when it comes to architecture. New York is a dream come true for artsy, architecture-loving nerds like me. I cannot wait to indulge in the architectural delights of Europe in the future!





After Elmer arrived, we spent the day meeting with agencies in an effort to find one to represent me in New York. It needed to be an agency that I loved, that also loved me. It's difficult to be excited about an agency that isn't excited about you. There were two agencies that I met with that I got a fantastic vibe from. One I had met with before and the other was brand new to me. I fell in love with both of them, for different reasons.

The waiting game is not a game I am fond of, nor is it a game of which I am particularly skilled. In fact, I think it's accurate to say I'm one of the most impatient individuals known to man, so waiting for anything, particularly the future of my career, is not something I thrive in. I booked another night at my hotel, and spent yesterday exploring the city with my lovely tour guide, Amanda Laine. Amanda is such a sweet, down-t0-earth girl, despite all of her successes within this industry. We walked the width of the island, having lunch with her friend at Chelsea Market. She took me to SoHo, on the subway, and finally back to her apartment building, which had a spectacular view of the city.

On the left, she has a stunning view of the Empire state building and Ground Zero, and on the right she has a breathtaking view of the Brooklyn bridge. Seeing all of the old, cobblestone side streets, historical landmarks, and ancient architecture really made me excited to eventually end up in this city.

After the 'tour', I headed back to the hotel to get ready to later meet Amanda and her friends for dinner. We headed to Westside Tavern before heading to Koi, a beautiful Japanese restaurant where the owner treated us to dinner. I had seaweed salad and grilled tofu and veggies, drizzled in a ginger sauce. It was fantastic. I felt truly fortunate and appreciative to have had this experience. After dinner, we headed to Avenue. Though I had to get up relatively early this morning to have another meeting with one of the agencies I fell in love with, I knew that I had to experience a night out on the town in New York City..even if it was brief.

All in all, my couple of days in New York were definitely memorable. I am taking a Greyhound bus back to Toronto tonight, and will arrive bright and early tomorrow morning. I'm sad to be leaving this city that I've only just started to get to know, but thankfully I won't be gone for long ;)

Thank you for sticking with me on this journey, friends. Your constant love and support means more to me than you could know. Stay tuned!

Satisfy my Soul

1 comment:

  1. That is a real New York hotel room! wow, it makes me think of is Catcher in Rye, when he gets a hotel in NYC. Sounds as if you had a wonderful time! : ) hope you get what you wanted!!

    ReplyDelete