Thursday, January 19, 2012

Me, Myself, and I.

I am here. I am living for only me.

Does that make me selfish or smart?

Having someone to understand me and motivate me.. or simply to call me on my bullshit.. doesn't seem so important anymore. Not if it means never meeting 'rock bottom' or experiencing defeat. I'm not looking for someone to sugarcoat things. I'm not looking for someone to catch me before I plummet down into some unforeseen abyss. This is an adventure I have yet to experience on my own and in an effort to re-familiarize myself with myself as its own entity, I think it's necessary to maintain the support system that I have, without depending on it entirely. I think it's necessary to act without thinking. I think it's necessary to make mistakes and learn my own lessons so that I can grow and mature as a person. I don't need someone to stand by me close, protecting me from the world, I need someone to understand that the relationship that I have with myself is the one that needs the most time and dedication. Until I truly understand what I expect for myself, from myself, I will never truly be able to understand what I expect for myself from others.

I enjoy being alone, and I'm not scared of being lonely, because I never truly am. For that, I am grateful. I enjoy being alone, because it encourages self-sufficiency and independence. I am not a recluse, by any definition of the word, but I do enjoy being with my own thoughts and feelings from time to time. After all, who is going to be able to understand my own thoughts and feelings better than me?

So again, I ask, does living for oneself make them appear to be selfish, or intelligent? I think the overall concept is difficult to understand, because we are creatures of a social nature. We are raised in schools to socialize us, go on play dates to make friends, join clubs to find friends with similar interests, and eventually we date people to find who we are compatible with and the qualities we look for in a long-term partner. I'm not against this. In fact, I support relationships with people..whether it's a friendship, familial relationship, work relationship, or romantic relationship. I just feel that we are taught of the importance of the relationships listed above, and are rarely ever reminded of the most important relationship of all. The one with ourselves.

-Satisfy my Soul

No comments:

Post a Comment